Pre-vacation Status Update
So I got the controller boards as expected, but I then started gathering parts for the voltage regulator (because that's the first section of the board I plan on soldering and testing) and I realized that I was missing a certain diode I need for it. After some searching around of order forms from DigiKey, I noticed that I never ordered any in all of my many orders (7+ now). So there was no way for me to solder or test anything on the board (or anything that I wanted to solder or test, that is).
I ordered and received 300 (100 each) red, green, and blue LEDs as well. When I received those, I then decided that I needed resistors to match the intensity values, so that gave me an excuse to get the diodes I need for the voltage regulator. I ordered those up the following day and got it all in. I spent some time last night testing relative intensity levels and trying to mix a good white out of the 3 colors. My initial calculations put the resistances I needed for red, green, and blue at 133, 62, and 66 ohms, respectively. So far, after getting very close, I have ended up using about 280, 30, and 70 ohms, respectively. For some reason, the green is VERY weak, and the red is way overpowering (I mostly assumed this was going to be the case for red).
I also picked up a toaster oven so I can bake the boards and components before and after I solder them. The reason for baking them is to remove any moisture that is on them so they don't explode while soldering them (I'm not super worried about this, really). After I'm done soldering the boards, I will also be cleaning them with hot, soapy water and then isopropyl alcohol, to remove any flux left over on them. Should be good times.
Anyway, no updates until at least Monday as I am off to wonderful Las Vegas for the weekend