Jurek and the Amazing Techno, Colored DreamWall

Jurek and the Amazing Techno, Colored DreamWall

The title is mostly a placeholder, as I haven't really figured out a name for it yet. This project is a wall hanging that consists of semi-large triangular pixels using discrete RGB LED's and PWM to control intensity levels of each LED, resulting in a 4096-color display.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Construction and LEDs

I got 1/2 of the inner wall pieces cut (enough to do one of the sections) and glued this weekend, despite having a nasty flu. On Saturday, I glued everything together and let it cure overnight (in my kitchen, even! I had to climb over the top of it just to get to the bathroom).
I have to say that it turned out quite nice. I was slightly worried about the 22" pieces (4 of them) on the edges, as they only had one notch in them and nothing to really "solidify" their orientation. When I had the pieces unglued and just interlocking, they tended to wobble around a bit. I made extra sure of their orientation as I was gluing them and it turned out pretty well. Still no pictures yet (I'm going to have to get some webhosting at some point), so you'll see it when I get to it I guess :D.

I've updated the progress bar to 18.5%, as I still need to attach the first backing piece as well as the exterior walls and the outside floor piece. It might be a little conservative, but oh well. I found some really nice material to use as the pixel floor. It was some 1/8" stuff I initially bought for the exterior walls. It's marker board and has a nice white, shiney surface on it. One that should work excellently as a reflector, rather than the pieces of paper I had envisioned before. I should need 2 pieces for the floor for each section, totalling 5 that I'd need for the whole assembly. (I should only need 1 for both sections for the outer walls). It cuts moderately OK and is decent to clean as well.

I got most of the next batch of 14 triplets worked together. I have all of the 4-conductor wire stripped of casing (but not each individual strand). My fingers were hurting too much from stripping, so I ordered up a wire stripper from DigiKey, along with 1250 3/16"x1/2" pieces of heatshrink tubing (about 52 feet) for the LED connections. I figured this would be easier and more cost-economical than buying tons of 1' pieces and cutting them all myself.

The progress bar is updated to 4.5%. After 16 are done, I will be at 6 2/3% done, so this may be slightly conservative as well.


Labels: ,


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home